No one likes moving. It can be a lot of hard work. The key is to have a good plan. Here are a few tips.
1. As soon as you’ve settled on a new address, start notifying people of your new address. You can set up forwarding with the post office, but you’ll need to change your mailing addresses with your magazine subscriptions, insurance companies, credit cards, and so forth so that you don’t have to have your mail forwarded all the time.
2. Make a list of things to do, and include deadlines. If you tend to get overwhelmed, it helps to break a big job into bite-size chunks, and it is satisfying to be able to put a check mark next to a task when you’ve completed it.
3. If you plan ahead adequately, you’ll have plenty of time to gather moving boxes. When you go to the grocery store, you can ask them when would be a good time to stop by to get boxes. Free boxes are better than buying boxes, right?
4. Some people will be too creeped out to consider this suggestion. But go on Craigslist and put an ad on for a couple of guys to unload your truck. With a couple of people helping, the job will go much quicker. You could hire a professional moving company for more money, but there’s no guarantee the movers will be less creepy.
5. Shop around for a moving truck. Prices are pretty standard, but availability may be an issue.
6. Get rid of as much stuff beforehand as possible. It doesn’t make much sense to take stuff you don’t want from one house to the next. Have a yard sale or donate your unused and unwanted junk.